Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Ph:1300 364 277
Location: Home Services Family Relationship Centre

Family Relationship Centre

Strengthening family relationships - Helping families stay together - Assisting families through separation

Family Relationship Centres - Helping Families Build Better Relationships


  • Strengthening family relationships
  • Helping families stay together
  • Assisting families through separation

How can a Family Relationship Centre help?

A Family Relationship Centre can help you by providing information about family relationships at all stages – forming new relationships, overcoming relationship difficulties or dealing with separation. Centre staff can also refer you to other services that can help.

If you are experiencing separation, Centre staff will talk with you to help you focus on your children’s needs and help you decide what to do next.

Centres can also provide joint sessions with the other parent or family members to help you agree on parenting arrangements.

Centres also offer a range of other services and programs such as information sessions and seminars.

Are the services free?

Family Relationship Centres provide information, referral and individual sessions free of charge. Centres also provide up to three hours of joint sessions free of charge, but may charge fees after that, depending on your circumstances. Centre staff will discuss these fees with you so that you can decide whether to commence sessions at the Centre, or use another service with a different fees policy.

Do I need a booking?

You don’t need a booking to get information, including information about programs and services available in your local area that can help strengthen family relationships. If you are separating, you can make an appointment for a private interview. Please phone or drop into the Family Relationship Centre to make a time for an appointment.

Who can come with me?

If it is appropriate, you can bring family members or a support person with you. Lawyers can’t participate in Centre sessions but you are free to seek legal advice at any stage outside the Centre.

What if I need an interpreter?

The Centre will arrange an interpreter if needed.

Will my details be kept private?

Your privacy is important to us and will be protected. Centres will only disclose personal information if you give permission or if required or authorised to by law, for example, to protect someone from harm.


Centres are committed to providing a safe environment and can put into place arrangements to assist with your safety or the safety of your children. You should let Centre staff know if you have any concerns as soon as possible.

Where can I find more information?

The Family Relationship Advice Line can provide information about Family Relationship Centres and about the location of your nearest Centre. If there are no Centres yet available in your location, the Advice Line can provide information and advice and can refer you to other services that can help.

You can call the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321 between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 4pm Saturday. The Advice Line uses interpreters if needed.

Family Relationships Online provides access to information about the changes to the family law system and about family relationship issues and services available to assist families. You can also find out the location of your nearest Family Relationship Centres through Family Relationships Online.

Visit Family Relationships Online at

For information about family relationships and services that can help, visit Family Relationships Online at or for free information, advice or referral, call the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321

Personal tools