Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the NT
Discussing experiences of the child protection system or time spent in youth detention can be difficult. This is especially so for people who experienced abuse and are telling their story for the first time. This is a free service and is available 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Support is available to children, young people, their families and others impacted by the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory. Experienced and qualified staff can refer you to a range of services including counsellors, therapeutic support, and health professionals.
Our services to the Royal Commission include:
- Trauma-informed and culturally appropriate support and information on how to engage with the Royal Commission and what to expect from the enquiry process,
- face to face and telephone counselling by qualified counsellors,
- support through legal processes,
- referrals to legal and advocacy services,
- pre and post counselling support to those directly affected who are giving evidence as well as their families,
- mentoring by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural advisors, and healing camps on Country.